Thursday, July 3, 2008

"Just one more thing...."

From Columbo: The Complete Third Season via this site!


I hate to admit it, but Peter Falk as Lt. Columbo makes up a bulk of my childhood memories! My mom is a die hard mystery fan (in novel form and television) so I spent my days becoming familiar with Poirot, Miss Marple, Ben Matlock, Perry Mason, Jessica Fletcher, and yes...Jake and the Fat Man. All these characters have a soft spot in my heart, so with utter reluctance do I report my excitement: the seasons and specials for some of these shows are currently, or will be, released on DVD! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Uhm. Yeah.

I loved loved loved Columbo the most out of all of them! He had this terribly kind and earnest way of prodding. I like to think when I play dumb (to my advantage) that I channel my inner-Columbo mimicry, distant yet attentive. His style is teh one..it's novel, especially when compared with all the unimaginative DNA-based/ripped from the headlines/CSI/Law and Order type shows that have usurped the more delicate and demanding script required of an old school mystery. Sometimes, people, we just don't know shit, and computers can't save the day. The 8 year old in me still loves embracing that. There was something plainly compelling in witnessing an innovative person piecing things together. Now, we have Vincent D'Onofrio guilt tripping the interrogated (and often using strange emotional manipulation and psychologically abusive tactics) during the last 3 minutes of a 42 minute block.

I want to say it's a whole thang about larger society or whatevs (and you know what, I'm sure it is), but for my point right now, I think it's just the result of quick and BAD WRITING! Agh! So much more creativity in media way back when I was a kid...

That was a good time to be alive. Thanks, late 80s and early 90s. Y'all were good to me.

ps: keeping you in my thoughts, homie!

No comments:

Post a Comment